Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Curried Cauliflower & Eggplant

Here are some quick and easy ways to fit more veggies into your diet. I don't usually eat either of these vegetables, but I'm trying to have more variety in my diet.

Orange Cauliflower from my 2nd to last CSA share:

I added some oil, curry spices (ginger, cumin, cardamom, turmeric, crushed red pepper, garlic), and a little bit of sweetener (agave nectar). I let it simmer and made sure the move the florets (little sections of cauliflower) around a little bit to get all of the sides cooked evenly. Apparently, orange cauliflower has more Vitamin A than other types. Score!

I always thought cauliflower was kind of bland, but this dish was anything but!


I did pretty much the same thing with the eggplant. I sauteed some onions in the dish first to give it some extra flavor. The eggplant was a different texture. It reminded me of stir-fried mushrooms.


It looks kind of gross*, but it tasted great!

I'd definitely make both of these dishes again. They could be nice side dishes or you could add some rice and tofu (or seitan) to make either one a good meal.

*I'd like to get a nicer camera to take prettier pictures of my food. If anyone has any recommendations for cheap, good cameras, let me know!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Elise! You were randomly chosen as the winner in the Vegan Comfort Foods cookbook giveaway on Vegan Crunk. Can you email me at phillipsbianca[at]gmail[dot]com with your address? The author will be mailing the book, so I'll pass your address along to her. If I don't hear back in a week so, she may ask to pick someone else. So get back as soon as you can. :-) Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Bianca! I sent you an email with my address. I apologize for the unfinished blog post. But, hey, now I remembered to finish it!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your thoughts/musing/comments below!
I absolutely LOVE receiving comments! It brightens my day!