Monday, September 2, 2013

Vegan Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups

So this recipe is adapted from Alicia Silverstone's recipe in The Kind Diet. It's a great book, and she has a lot of yummy healthy vegan recipes (including desserts!) Also, if you're interested in going vegan (or "flirting" as she calls it), she has a great website: The Kind Life.  So check it out!

Also, my recipe has a few noted differences.  She makes two different mixes: a peanut butter and a chocolate topping.  As you might be able to tell from the photo, I added them both together.  The first time I made them (following Alicia's receipe, the chocolate seemed to separate easily from the peanut butter cup when you ate them and broke into brittle little pieces.  I figured:  I like chocolate, so why don't I combine it throughout the peanut butter mixture.  Also, less pans = less mess!


Also, I realize that my muffin pans are kind of old and not the prettiest pans, but they get the job done!

Anyways...

Ingredients:

-4 graham crackers (I didn't have any, so I used some wheat crackers instead, and they still turned out great!)
-1/2 cup Earth Balance butter (or other vegan buttery spread)
-3/4 unsweetened peanut butter (Alicia recommends crunchy, but I'm not a fan and already had two jars of creamy)
-1/4 maple sugar
- 1 1/3 cup of grain-sweetened, nondairy chocolate (or carob) chips
-1/4 cup of almond milk
-1/4 cup chopped almonds (peanuts or pecans are fine, too)

You'll also need a muffin pan or two.  The first time, I made them in a mini-muffin tin, which was the perfect size for sweet snacks!  I highly recommend using paper liners or some kind of non-stick spray.  I didn't use the liners on my first attempt, and I had to scoop them out with a spoon!  This meant they weren't very pretty when I brought them to work to share with some of my friends.

First, put your graham crackers (or regular crackers) a food processor or blender.  Grind them to crumbs.

In a saucepan, melt your vegan butter and peanut butter.  Stir it up and add your chocolate chips and almond milk.  Next, slowly stir in your cracker crumbs and maple sugar.  Once it's well mixed and melted, turn off the heat and add it to your muffin cups.  You can also top it with your chopped nuts (or food processed, powdered nuts, like mine).  I also think shredded coconut might be good, but I was worried it might be too many flavors, so I didn't add any.  If you try the coconut, leave a comment and let me know how it is!

With the nut topping: 
Or leave it plain: 


Now, you're almost done.  Stick your muffin tins in the refrigerator for 2-3 hours and enjoy!  Or if you're impatient, like me, you can put your tins in the freezer and you only have to wait about 20-30 minutes.

I should mention that I made a dozen of these on Saturday, and I only have 3 left!  (Despite the fact that my husband isn't a big dessert person and has not eaten any of them, yet.)  So, they're quite delicious! You have my word on that.

  

Stay tuned for more on Vegan MOFO!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your thoughts/musing/comments below!
I absolutely LOVE receiving comments! It brightens my day!