Saturday, August 17, 2013

Vegan Issues: Circuses

Now it's time for a slightly more serious post about some vegan issues.

In changing to a plant-based diet, I'm still refraining from referring to myself as a "vegan", which strikes some as a loaded term. Many people have preconceived ideas about the types of people who are vegans. They're idealistic animal lovers or left-wing environmentalists. Maybe you think they take their beliefs a little too far and get in your face. I know that I personally don't appreciate being veg-ucated by those pushy vegans who hand out brochures filled with grotesque images of tortured and slaughtered animals at fairs and metro stops. Way to ruin my good time with your nasty pictures!

Yeah, I think it's disgusting! I'm pretty sure even people who love bacon wouldn't want to watch a pig get slaughtered every time they eat it. However, I don't think that's a very effective method of getting people to care about your cause. It's just rude! That being said, I'm about to show you a sad video about the treatment of animals in circuses. If you love circuses and don't want to ruin your enjoyment of them, please do not watch this video. But if you care about the ethical treatment of animals, as a meat-eater, vegetarian, dog or cat-owner, farmer, lover of cute animal photos, whatever, please take a few minutes of your time to watch the following video. If not, no hard feelings. I won't judge you for your choices if you don't judge me for mine. :)

Maybe you've heard that circuses don't treat their animals well, but you never really thought about what that meant or that it was something that you could change. Maybe your kids really, really wanted to go or you just thought it sounded like a fun time, so you went anyway. Please watch this video produced by PETA and let me know if you still think the circus is quality entertainment:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your thoughts/musing/comments below!
I absolutely LOVE receiving comments! It brightens my day!